Vladimir Alyoshin, chief adviser on penal matters in the law firm S&K Vertical took part in the "White nights" International Legal Forum
From May 28 to 30, 2010, Saint Petersburg hosted the “White nights" International Legal Forum” organised by LegalStudies.RU. The unique format of the Forum which included 16 parallel sessions enabled participants to be focused as much as possible on topical issues which affected their activity.
During plenary sessions, roundtables presentations and discussions representatives of regional law firms, corporate lawyers, directors of Russian and international businesses, lawyers, representatives of the government and judicial authorities discussed top issues of law enforcement and organizational issues pertaining to legal services. Key issues discussed at the forum were the following:
• Advocacy of business in Constitutional court of the Russian Federation;
• Legal support of investments and business intercourse in the Northwestern Federal District of Russia: real estate sector, agricultural sector, finance industry
• Corporate ethics in fight against corruption: control of transparency and integrity of procedures by lawyers
• Protection of Competition as an incentive for crisis relieving
• De-criminalization of economic crimes and possibilities to establish and develop a club of white collar crime lawyers, i. e. a community of lawyers specializing in penal risks of doing business
Lawyer Vladimir Alyoshin took part in a session dedicated to reports and discussions on “Criminal law risks associated with doing business in Russia and abroad: work for lawyers in the area of white collar crime”, which was held on May 29, 2010 at the Glinka Hall of the Radisson SAS Royal Hotel. This session was moderated by Victor Burobin, President of the law firm “Yustina”.
The main topic of the session included the following: Key penal law risks associated with doing business in dealing in the Russian-speaking countries? What risks are the lawyers protecting interests of their clients in economically and politically “sensitive” affairs exposed to?
Participants of the forum were for the first time presented with a project of cross-jurisdictional, voluntary ethical and professional principles which form the basis of legal practice in the CIS economic region, developed by a group of experts further to the conference of the International Bar Association (IBA) titled “Law Firm Management” and initiated by the CIS Local Counsel Forum (www.rulg.com/cisforum).